Automobile Hit From the Rear

In this age of high stress, multi-tasking, and rushing, it is no wonder that driver inattention is widespread.  Construction on interstate highways and thruways can often cause not only delays, but obstructions that leave traffic stopped in their lane of travel, with little or no warning for the vehicles that are approaching at a high speed from behind.

This situation often leads to high speed rear end collisions, in which the stopped vehicle and its occupants are virtually helpless to avoid the impact.   These crashes often lead to injuries requiring medical treatment.  The driver who strikes your vehicle from behind, in almost all situations, can be held responsible for these injuries.  Often, the insurance company for the offending driver will contact the injured person early on, before the extent of the injuries is known, and encourages a small settlement to release their insured.  It is important not to accept a settlement until the extent of your injuries are know, because once you settle, you cannot receive anything further, even if your injury turns out to be worse that you first thought.

Your no-fault policy, which is part of your motor-vehicle insurance, will pay for all medical evaluation and treatment that is considered a result of the accident.  It is important to let your insurance company know of the accident as soon as possible, so that they can send you the no-fault application, which is a relatively easy form to complete.  Once the no-fault coverage is up and running, you can supply this claim information to most medical providers who will bill your no-fault directly for treatment they provide.

It is important to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident, as well.  The lawyer can assist you in evaluating the extent of your injury, and correspond directly with the offending driver’s insurance company on your behalf, to confirm coverage issues, look into supplemental insurance, and generally level the playing field in dealing with the insurance company, and insure that your interests are protected.    Contact and speak with an attorney immediately.

Comments are closed.